Monday, July 28, 2008

Oakley the town, not the glasses

Today I opened an email from cute Sister Melanie Waltman. Her husband is the Bishop of the Middleton 5th (I think) ward. She sent me this picture and this message:

Hi Janet,
The Elders were at the Pioneer Day Celebration on Saturday. I made them stand for another picture. Elder Woods told me to tell you that he is getting transferred to Oakley, Idaho (that is in Eastern Idaho) and it will be on Tuesday. He said he would email you when he got a chance. We are sad to see him go!

Love, Melanie
(I am the goofy lady in the pioneer clothes! Ü)



I looked up Oakley on google maps. It has 3 streets and a population of about 600 people.

13 YEARS OF EDUCATION AND BRADLEY KNOWS HOW TO WRITE A LETTER!!!!!! (reading it is the hard part :-)

Brad wrote us a letter hinting that he might get transfered to the Burley, Idaho area on the 13th of August. A couple of posts ago he said that because of the Temple in Twin Falls, the Boise mission was taking over part of the Pocatello Mission. In his letter he said that there were 9 companionship in the new area - 1/2 Boise Elders, 1/2 Pocatello Elders. I guess the take over is sooner than he thought. He said that if he is in the Burley area he will probably be able to go to the Temple Dedication. His companionship in the Middleton Area was himself, a zone leader and a district leader together as a threesome. They covered 5 wards and a large singles ward. While in Middleton his Zone Leaders were Elders Dewey & Lehman, Trainer and now District Leader Elder Grant, District Leader Elder Woodside along with the AP Elder Peters. Many of these great Elders were in the MTC together or trained each other. They are the leaders of the mission and Brad has been trained and associated with the best. They have all been wonderful examples to Bradley. Brad is now leaving an area that he has loved and has made many friends he will miss. The Middleton Saints have been so good to him. Brad said: "I had dinner a few weeks ago with the Fisher Family. Their son Erik Fisher is on the US ski team and skied in the Olympics. Way Cool. His sister just received her call to Armenia, scary, aren't you glad I'm in Idaho?" (yes we are) "Well missionary life is great. I love teaching people. (I already memorized the lessons in the MTC so now it's just fun!) However, tracting.... not so much. But we do have to do it sometimes, and sometimes it works. Jim and Arlene Cantrell were tracted into (back in January). I decided to read through the Book of Mormon at the very end of last transfere. I started then and I am now in Alma 13. It's awesome. Mosiah is my favorite book. I love it! It has all the different points of view like Vantage Point (which was an amazing movie) that all come together. Plus it has a ton of cool battles and the Alma the Younger story. I love how because the sons of Mosiah 1)changed their ways, 2)preached the gospel, and 3)endured to the end, their calling and election was made sure. (That's my new goal in life by the way)" Brad also wants us to find him an original, yellow, hard copy of the Book of Mormon that has paragraphs and not chapter and verses (anybody out there have one?) It was great to get Brad's letter and the note from Sister Waltman so I won't worry if we don't hear from him tomorrow. Thanks for supporting Brad.

2 comments:

{jennifer} said...

Change is good. Did he go to an even smaller town? Should be interesting.

Dena said...

See...they start having a bit of fun and then they get transfered! BJ really enjoyed working with Brad and that combination of Elders they had together in Middleton. They seem to have a lot of fun while working hard. I hope Brad will like his new area. What a great picture. You gotta love that Sister Waltman! All the members there in the Middleton area have been so great to our boys! They are greatly blessed to be serving in such a great mission with wonderful members.

Countdown